Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | About


A city suburb in the south-eastern corridor along the Albany Highway between Gosnells and Armadale. Named in 1830 after the birthplace of Archdeacon Scott (the first ordained minister in the Swan River Colony) in Oxfordshire, England. Outer Kelmscott has recently seen name changes with Wright Lake being transformed into Champion Lakes and Westfield being re-named as Seville Grove. The Noongar name for this district was Goolamrup


Kelmscott - Albany Highway

Albany Highway looking south, The rainbow arcs over the rain falling in perhaps Armadale or Roleystone, or even closer. The Darling Scarp is in the background. July 2008. Photos Ref: KELM001


Kelmscott - Inn

The Kelmscott Bar looks functional but not much thought went into the design maybe. Still, they don't built old pubs like the Gosnells anymore, not here or anywhere. July 2008. Photos Ref: KELM002


Kelmscott - The Hills

How green is my valley indeed! Here is a Kelmscott park just behind the shops and highway. Lovely location that could be miles away from such bustling places. July 2008. Photos Ref: KELM003


Kelmscott - Library

The Kelmscott Library. Once again, no doubt functional but not very pretty although it is a nice shade of blue. July 2008. Photos Ref: KELM004


Kelmscott - Railway Station

The train station viewed from down line to Armadale. You can see construction works and nice heavy, rainy clouds in the background. July 2008. Photos Ref: KELM005


Kelmscott - Railway Station

The maze of pedestrian crossings across both lines and the bus lane at the southern end of the station. April 2011. Photos Ref: KELM006


Kelmscott - Overseas Aid Shop

This rather cute looking opportunity shop is right out the front of the train station. It is the Overseas Aid Shop. I have since learnt that this building is the old station master's house (info - thanks to Bryce). April 2011. Photos Ref: KELM007


Kelmscott - Orca Fish and Chips

A fish and chip shop sits alongside many other shops on the east side of Albany Highway. April 2011. Photos Ref: KELM008


Kelmscott - Don Randall Office

Don Randall is the liberal Member for Canning. This is his electorate office on Albany Highway. April 2011. Photos Ref: KELM009


Kelmscott - Lloyd Hughes Park

Fires have devastated this park and the Kelmscott Public Open Space further up the hill. It's amazing how the blackboys (and the bush in general) can so quickly re-generate after fire. April 2011. Photos Ref: KELM010


Kelmscott - Primary School

Kelmscott Primary School on the corner of River Road and Orlando Street. A school has occupied this site continuously since 1882. The school celebrated its 125th anniversary in 2007. April 2011. Photos Ref: KELM011


Kelmscott - Caravan Park

The entrance to the Kelmscott Caravan Park on River Road. It backs right down to the Caning River. April 2011. Photos Ref: KELM012


Kelmscott - Caravan Park

An avenue of magnificent gums leads down towards the river. Most of these caravans look like they are here to stay and perhaps occupied by permanent residents or leased out as is. April 2011. Photos Ref: KELM013


Kelmscott - Rushton Park

Lush greenery in this well-manicured park. The road bridge crossing the Canning River is on Orlando Street. April 2011. Photos Ref: KELM014


Kelmscott - Rushton Park

Another green view of Rushton park looking down towards the Canning River. April 2011. Photos Ref: KELM015


Kelmscott - Rushton Park Grandstands

Two small grandstands overlook a small surfaced area in Rushton Park. There is an agricultural show held here annually. Adjacent are livestock and flower pavilions or sheds. This was the site of the original Kelmscott pool, one of the first opened in the area, but closed by the council in the early 2,000's (info - thanks Bryce). April 2011. Photos Ref: KELM016


Kelmscott - Congregational Church

This Congregational Church was the first such Church in the area. It was build in 1905 of locally produced bricks. It was constructed by John A. Buckingham and the Foundation Stone was laid by Mr Jacoby (Information on Historic Plaque set on the building by the City of Armadale). April 2011. Photos Ref: KELM017


Kelmscott - Anglican Church

This is St Mary-In-The-Valley Anglican Church on River Road. This Church was constructed in 1963 although the cemetery is a lot older - tombstones date back to the 1870's. The original Church on this site was completed on 16th August, 1871 and was built by Thomas Buckingham Junior. (Information on Historic Plaque set on the building by the City of Armadale). April 2011. Photos Ref: KELM018


Kelmscott - Apartments on Streich Avenue

Fine new apartments on Streich Avenue, quite close to the railway station. April 2011. Photos Ref: KELM019


Kelmscott - Champion Lakes

Champion Lakes Recreational Park contains a number of lakes custom designed for boating regattas. The Park is slightly west of central Kelmscott. The waterways are a significant extension and remodelling of the original Wright Lake which used to exist on this site. This place was also once part of the suburb of Westfield. Beware if you bring your dog here. May 2014. Photos Ref: KELM20

All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission