Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | Notes | Links | About

Kulin

Kulin is a small town in the eastern wheatbelt within its own Shire. The town is some 285 kilometres east of Perth. Settlement of the area occurred in the early 1900's. In 1915 a railway between Kondinin and Yilliminning (south-west of Wickepin) was completed. The town was originally gazetted as Jilakin, a name derived from a nearby lake. Local objections saw this changed to Kulinn. Later the last 'n' was dropped. Kulin comes from Coolin, an Aboriginal name


 
 
West to Jitarning  
 
 

Kulin - Welcome Sign

This is Tin Horse Country. Kulin has its bush races in October. April 2015. Photos Ref: KULN001

 

Kulin - Memorial Hall

The Kulin Memorial Hall. Much of the brickwork on the front has been rendered. The Hall was opened by the Kulin Road Board on March 20th, 1928. April 2015. Photos Ref: KULN002

 

Kulin - Memorial Hall

In this picture the original brickwork of the hall is very evident. April 2015. Photos Ref: KULN003

 

Kulin - Bank

This is a former bank but is completely unmarked. It could be a private residence now. April 2015. Photos Ref: KULN004

 

Kulin - Post Office

Post Office Kulin, 6365, presents a classic post office design. It was built in 1926. April 2015. Photos Ref: KULN005

 

Kulin - Apartments

A view looking east down High Street taking in a small block of relatively new apartments, then on to the IGA store and down to the side of the hotel. April 2015. Photos Ref: KULN006

 

Kulin - Butcher Shop

The former butcher's shop. The butcher has moved to other premises and the shop appears to be vacant at present. This shop dates back to 1925. April 2015. Photos Ref: KULN007

 

Kulin - Shops

A row of shops taking in a former barber's shop, Ashlee Renae Hair Studio, and a cafe complete with petrol pump. April 2015. Photos Ref: KULN008

 

Kulin - CWA Rooms

The Kulin C.W.A. Rooms. It seems that the Uniting Church holds their services in here. At least they did on Easter Sunday this year, preceded with morning tea. April 2015. Photos Ref: KULN009

 

Kulin - Street

A look north-east along Johnson Street taking in the post office, a hair salon (1920), a Mitre 10 store and then the former bank building. April 2015. Photos Ref: KULN010

 

Kulin - Hotel

The Kulin Hotel faces onto Johnson Street. This was established in 1919. It seems the hotel ran into difficulties in the mid-1970's so rather than have no hotel in town, the local community purchased it, resurrected it, and went on to add the accommodation (motel) units. April 2015. Photos Ref: KULN011

 

Kulin - Hotel

Here is a side view of the Kulin Hotel looking along High Street. April 2015. Photos Ref: KULN012

 

Kulin - Masonic Lodge

Kulin Masonic Lodge W.A.C. No. 160. The Foundation Stone describes this as the Golden Fleece Chapter No.39 S.G.R.A.C. of W.A. One stone was unveiled by Dr J.L. Rossiter, First Grand Principal, on March 6th, 1948. An earlier stone was unveiled by Bro. DR J.S. Battye on October 25th, 1937. April 2015. Photos Ref: KULN013

 

Kulin - Buffaloes Lodge

The former Buffaloes Lodge is now used as the Kulin Kids Club. The hall was erected in 1956. April 2015. Photos Ref: KULN014

 

Kulin - Anglican Church

St Mary's Church of England, Kulin. The Foundation Stone was laid on December 11th, 1937. The stone does not state by whom it was laid. April 2015. Photos Ref: KULN015

 

Kulin - Catholic Church

St Joseph's Catholic Church, Kulin. The Foundation Stone was laid by Redmond Prendiville, Archbishop of Perth, on August 2nd, 1953. April 2015. Photos Ref: KULN016

 

Kulin - High School

A glimpse of a section of the Kulin District High School. April 2015. Photos Ref: KULN017

 

Kulin - Railway

The line north of here to Kondinin obviously has not been used in quite some time judging by the size of that tree in the middle of the track. The line to the south veers west over to Harrismith and then on to Wickepin. April 2015. Photos Ref: KULN018

 

Kulin - Railway Station

Kulin railway station which is now used as a gallery and studio. This was built in 1946. April 2015. Photos Ref: KULN019

 

Kulin - Tin Horse

Tin horses adorn this area and apparently there are quite a few along what is known as the Tin Horse Highway which runs from here to Hyden, 120 kilometres away. April 2015. Photos Ref: KULN020

 

Kulin - Aquatic Centre

Kulin boasts a rather spectacular aquatic centre. Have a look at that water slide. It is 18 metres high and the slide winds down for 182 metres. April 2015. Photos Ref: KULN021


All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission