Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | Notes | Links | About

Midland

Midland is located approx 16 kms north-east of Perth. The name Midland is derived from the Midland Railway Company which established its base here in 1886 whilst building the rail line to Geraldton. Midland was originally called Helena Vale back in 1895 a year after the local train station was built (Midland Junction Station). Confusion over names saw the locality adopt the station name in 1901. In 1961 the word "Junction" was dropped


 
 
 
 
 

Midland - Town Hall

The Midland Town Hall has always been such a distinctive and iconic building. It is situated on the corner of Great Eastern and Old Great Northern Highways. The building was established in 1907. Behind this part of the building is the actual Hall which was added in 1923. Foundation stones were laid by Premier C. H. Rason and Mayor W. R. Crosbie on April 24th, 1906. June 2008. Photos Ref: MIDL001

 

Midland - Connolly's Buildings

The Connolly's Buildings curve around the intersection of Great Eastern and Old Great Northern Highways just opposite the Town Hall. This was erected in 1900. April 2013. Photos Ref: MIDL002

 

Midland - Ascension Church

The front of the Ascension Church of Midland faces Spring Park Road. The church was consecrated by Bishop Riley in February 1899. April 2013. Photos Ref: MIDL003

 

Midland - Masonic Hall

This rather attractive and gleaming-white building is on the corner of Spring Park Road and Poynton Avenue. This was constructed as a Masonic Hall in 1903. The Foundation Stone was laid by Dr J. W. Hackett, MLC, Grand Master on February 2, 1903. In residence in 2013 is Scanlan Surveyors. April 2013. Photos Ref: MIDL004

 

Midland - Village

On Old Great Northern Highway, this is part of the Midland Village shopping and business complex. April 2013. Photos Ref: MIDL005

 

Midland - Old Shops

Still on Old Great Northern Highway, here is a great example of period architecture - fine brickwork over two levels. A short while ago Newspower occupied all of the street level but the shop has since been divided into what looks like two new businesses. The signage over the shops has yet to be fully renewed. Originally this was Brown's Drapery Emporium built in 1900. April 2013. Photos Ref: MIDL006

 

Midland - Emporium

On Helena Street is the Midland Emporium Building. It was constructed in 1914. A number of independent retailers now occupy the building. April 2013. Photos Ref: MIDL007

 

Midland - Old Courthouse

The fine former Midland Courthouse sits adjacent to the Public Library and behind the Midland Town Hall on Helena Street. The building has recently enjoyed an extensive face-lift. It was built in 1907. This ceased being a courthouse in 1987. After 1987 the Uniting Church used the premises. April 2013. Photos Ref: MIDL008

 

Midland - Herb Shop

This colourful shop is The Happy Herb Shop and is located on The Crescent. Last time I was up this way, this place was occupied by Midland Travel Service. April 2013. Photos Ref: MIDL009

 

Midland - Adelaide House

Apple Mac shop and PC repairs coexist in Adelaide House and its neighbouring building to the left. This is on Great Eastern Highway and was constructed in 1904. Formerly the building was known as Simpson's Second Hand Furniture shop. April 2013. Photos Ref: MIDL010

 

Midland - Vinnies

St Vincent de Paul affectionately known simply as "Vinnies". This building is at 285 Great Eastern Highway. This was constructed in 1920 and used to be the local Salvation Army Hall. April 2013. Photos Ref: MIDL011

 

Midland - Old Row of Shops

This old row of shops is west of Vinnies and across the road although still on Great Eastern Highway. The shops were built in 1920, simply as a row of shops. April 2013. Photos Ref: MIDL012

 

Midland - Midland Parade

Midland Parade is a fairly significant shopping area constructed in 1974. Clever design has made it look older than it really is thus helping it to blend in with surrounding historic structures. April 2013. Photos Ref: MIDL013

 

Midland - Council Club Hotel

This old hotel, the Council Club Hotel, was built in 1901. It is located more or less behind the Midland Town Hall on Old Great Northern Highway. January 2012. Photos Ref: MIDL014

 

Midland - Lotteries House

Now known as Midland Junction Lotteries House, this used to be the Midland Post Office and was constructed in 1913. In 1997 the building was renovated and re-born under its present name thanks to a Lottery West grant and the City of Swan. June 2008. Photos Ref: MIDL015

 

Midland - Eastern Tavern

Here is the Eastern Tavern on Great Eastern Highway. This was previously known as the Junction Tavern. The hotel was built in 1896 as the Freemasons Hotel. October 2010. Photos Ref: MIDL016

 

Midland - Eastern Tavern

The Eastern Tavern on Great Eastern Highway. This is looking along the side which faces the highway. It's had a partial colour change and really looks sparkling. Decades ago a railway crossing ran in front of the hotel, running diagonally across the junction of Helena Street and Great Eastern Highway. Midland Railways used to ply this route travelling north. Hotel patrons would have had a good view of the passing trains. April 2013. Photos Ref: MIDL017

 

Midland - Jack Sue Shop

This shop is pretty typical of some of the run-down buildings that dot Midland. They provide some uniqueness up this way but hardly tourist material. Look on the bright side - these buildings are still standing and therefore the local history is preserved. With a coat of paint this building would look fabulous. February 2008. Photos Ref: MIDL018

 

Midland - Commercial Tavern

Next to the railway line on Railway Parade is this fine old hotel. It was built in 1910 as the Commercial Hotel. There used to be another hotel just a block east of here called the Stockman Hotel but that was demolished in 1998. October 2010. Photos Ref: MIDL019

 

Midland - Wilkins Building

East of the Commercial Tavern on Railway Parade, at number 48, is the Wilkins Building. Up on the top of the building it says "Wilkins Building 1904 - Imperial Coffee Palace". This was built on the back of the railways workshops fortunes. At one stage is was the Midland Guest House. Another time the home of three shops. In 2012 the premises are vacant. April 2012. Photos Ref: MIDL020

 

Midland - RSL - RAOB Hall

On Railway Parade at number 84 is the former RSL Hall which at one time was also the district lodge of the Buffaloes. The building was constructed in 1910. It looks like the building lacks depth but the right wall angles in to the left and the section towards the rear is not visible in this picture. In 2015 this is the registered office of a couple of companies. January 2015. Photos Ref: MIDL021

 

Midland - Courthouse

Slightly up Great Northern Highway from the town centre is the new Midland courthouse which was opened in 1987. October 2010. Photos Ref: MIDL022

 

Midland - Small House

A feature of the Midland area are many tiny little houses such as this. One day Midland will become fashionable and I suppose all these will go in redevelopment. Although I see quite a number are safe, covered under their heritage status. October 2010. Photos Ref: MIDL023

 

Midland - Bank - Police Station

At 12 Cale Street, this was built in 1904 as the Western Australian Bank. The building was later used as the Police Department Regional Office and the Midland Police Service Building. For a period in the 1980's the Midland Traffic Branch and Midland CIB used this building. In 2010 a firm of surveyors is in residency. October 2010. Photos Ref: MIDL024

 

Midland - Evangel Church

The Evangel Charismatic Church at 6 Padbury Terrace, Midland. The church has no foundation stone. The building appears to be in very good condition. It is not listed on the state heritage site and web searches regarding the church don't reveal a lot. June 2016. Photos Ref: MIDL025

 

Midland - Arts Centre

On Great Eastern Highway this is the Midland Arts Centre. This was built in 1904 as the Midland Junction Technical School. Art classes were included in the school's curriculum as far back as 1909. January 2015. Photos Ref: MIDL026

 

Midland - Arts Centre

Another view of the former technical school which is a sort of a continuation to the left of the photograph above. This side faces Great Eastern Highway. January 2015. Photos Ref: MIDL027

 

Midland - Railway Institute

Here is a rather grand looking Railways Institute building. This was built in 1914 and is adjacent to the Midland Railway Workshops. Up until 1958 the building included a Technical School, its primarily purpose was in training those who would be engaged in engineering and other activities in the Railways Workshops next door. April 2013. Photos Ref: MIDL028

 

Midland - Railway Workshops

A glimpse inside the old railway workshops on the south side of Midland railway lines. These workshops were established in 1894 and opened in 1904. Years ago they built and serviced steam locomotives and all manner of rolling stock here, then later diesels. These workshops were finally closed in 1993 and around that time were listed on W.A.'s list of Heritage Places. February 2008. Photos Ref: MIDL029

 

Midland - Railway Workshops

Another look at the old workshops and they really look grand. So much work has been put it to renovate them. Gradually some of the buildings are being put to use. In one of the buildings the Police Academy is in residence. October 2010. Photos Ref: MIDL030

 

Midland - Railway Workshops

Part of the workshops, this is an old Time Office where presumably workers would clock in and out. The windows are very cleverly made to look like the reflections of workers coming and going. October 2010. Photos Ref: MIDL031

 

Midland - Railway Workshops

Another look inside the workshops. This view really brings out the fine brickwork of the complex. This is just next to the security gate. October 2010. Photos Ref: MIDL032

 

Midland - Railway Workshops

One of the magnificent workshops buildings opposite where the new hospital is going up. This photo features the statue on the left which forms a part of the Peace Memorial which commemorates railway workshop workers who were killed in the First World War (70) and the Second War (26). A memorial in the form of a Flagpole was originally constructed in 1916. The Peace Memorial was built in 1925. April 2013. Photos Ref: MIDL033

 

Midland - Railway Workshops

A face of the southern part of the railway workshops including the chimney stack. The workshops were closed in 1993 despite loud protestations to the Government. April 2013. Photos Ref: MIDL034

 

Midland - New Apartments

Towards the western end of the railway workshops area, quite a number of blocks of fine new apartments have been built. Here are some. You can see the original rail lines which lead into the workshops. No longer used and perhaps never to be removed, the lines form part of the workshops history. April 2013. Photos Ref: MIDL035

 

Midland - Roadside Figures

One of three roadside sculptures which I am including in this page. A railways workshop worker arrives on his bike for work as they would have done in those days. The sculptures are simplistic in materials and design but (to me) reflect a history which mere words cannot describe. April 2013. Photos Ref: MIDL036

 

Midland - Roadside Figures

Cleverly crafted roadside sculptures such as this can be found throughout Midland. This pair are on the Great Eastern Highway and depict a memory of railway workers in town. One man fastens his shoe-lace whilst the station master looks on. April 2013. Photos Ref: MIDL037

 

Midland - Roadside Figures

Another roadside figure, this time a railway worker takes a break to eat his crib. His Gladstone Bag is on the ground next to him. This is located on The Crescent. April 2013. Photos Ref: MIDL038

 

Midland - New Health Campus Construction

Viewed from the north side of the railway looking south, the new Midland Health Campus construction has started. Behind is a part of the old Railway Workshops which houses the Police Academy. The new campus stretches all the way east to Lloyd Street. October 2012. Photos Ref: MIDL039

 

Midland - New Health Campus Construction

Here is an update on progress being made at the new hospital. Six months has elapsed since the last photo and it is really springing up. April 2013. Photos Ref: MIDL040

 

Midland - New Health Campus

St John of God Midland Public Hospital is now complete and functioning. It opened on time in late November 2015. December 2015. Photos Ref: MIDL041

 

Midland - Stella Maris Convent

On Morrison Street near the corner of Great Northern Highway is the Franciscan Sisters Of the Immaculate, House of the Immaculate, Stella Maris Convent. This was constructed in 1902. October 2012. Photos Ref: MIDL042

 

Midland - Old Rail Platform

While we were fossicking around the railway line taking photos of the new health campus, we came across this disused railway platform. The track alongside has been lifted. Perhaps this was once used for the transfer of freight? This is looking west, towards Midland station. October 2012. Photos Ref: MIDL043

 

Midland - Coal Park Dam

Just west of the Railway Institute and workshops is Coal Dam Park. In the days of steam, they used to haul coal up from Collie and then stored it underwater as a preservation measure. The bit of track you can see is where the coal was unloaded and subsequently reloaded for local use. October 2012. Photos Ref: MIDL044

 

Midland - Coal Park Dam

On the other side of the coal dam is this "arm" which apparently assisted in the unloading and later loading of the coal. The dam was constructed around 1915. October 2012. Photos Ref: MIDL045

 

Midland - Darling Range Tavern

At the east end of Midland, on the corner of Great Eastern Highway and Horace Street is the Darling Range Tavern. Or at least it used to be. It is called the Ranges Inn now. On this side is also the Bayleaf Indian Restaurant. The hotel section is around the back. December 2011. Photos Ref: MIDL046

 

Midland - Darling Range Tavern

And here is the Ranges Inn. This is the eastern side of the old Darling Ranges Tavern. The hotel was constructed as the East Midland Hotel in 1903. December 2011. Photos Ref: MIDL047

 

Midland - Weighbridge

On Great Eastern Highway in what was West Midland and is now Woodbridge, is this old weighbridge. It's been a familiar landmark for decades. No longer a weighbridge, the place now functions and a sort of handyman workshop. April 2013. Photos Ref: MIDL048

 

Midland - Woodbridge House

The classic Woodbridge House at the end of Ford Street in West Midland. Set in beautiful grounds and adjacent to the Swan River, this mansion was built in 1885 by Mr Charles Harper, one time farmer, businessman and Member of Parliament. At one stage Mr Harper was owner of West Australian Newspaper. Needless to say this is now a National Trust site. October 2012. Photos Ref: MIDL049

 

Midland - Woodbridge House Wardens Cottage

Next to the main Woodbridge House is this outbuilding which is now used as the Warden's Residence and is occupied privately. October 2012. Photos Ref: MIDL050

 

Midland - Woodbridge House Restaurant

On the river side of the main house is this quaint outbuilding which now serves as a restaurant. The other side of this building looks down to and across the Swan River and offers a fine, elevated rural view for diners. October 2012. Photos Ref: MIDL051

 

Midland - Woodbridge House Jetty

Below the river side of the restaurant is this private jetty belonging to the Woodbridge House estate. Over on the far bank grape vines are enjoying their Caversham spring sunlight. This is the view the restaurant diners see. October 2012. Photos Ref: MIDL052


All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission