Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | Notes | Links | About

Trayning

A medium-sized rural centre on the Nungarin - Wyalkatchem Road, located 236 kilometres from Perth, in the central wheatbelt district. The town was first settled in 1912 and named after the local watering hole Trayning Well. Yet another town established because of the passing railway. The town was originally called Trayning Siding but later the word 'Siding' was dropped. Surveyors were in the area around 1892 and noted the agricultural potential of the district


 
 
 
 
 

Trayning - Former E. S. & A. Bank

This attractive old English Scottish & Australian Bank building is located on Railway Street in the centre of town. This looks like a private home now and it is being well preserved. The bank was erected in 1936. April 2012. Photos Ref: TRAY001

 

Trayning - Former Green Grocery

Slightly to the right of the former E.S.& A. Bank is this handsome old building, also probably a private residence now. This was once the town's green grocer's store run at one time by the McKeown family. They also did milk deliveries around town. April 2012. Photos Ref: TRAY002

 

Trayning - Town Hall

Here is this very rugged looking Trayning Hall. Apparently the brickwork at the front is relatively new. At one stage the building had an older (now demolished) section at the front which housed the library and council office. The original hall was built in 1928. Alterations were made in 1975. April 2012. Photos Ref: TRAY003

 

Trayning - Frankie's Diner

Frankie's Diner on the main street. During the 1950's and 1960's (and possibly earlier) this was butcher's shop which was run by the Bland family. April 2012. Photos Ref: TRAY004

 

Trayning - Post Office

The Trayning Post Office. It is actually a Post Shop which sells everything from postage stamps to skin products to plants. A true mixed business. Decades ago there was also a telephone exchange on this site. The post office was built in 1927. April 2012. Photos Ref: TRAY005

 

Trayning - All Saints Anglican Church

The All Saints Anglican Church on Coronation Street. The Foundation Stone was laid by C. O. L. Riley, Archbishop of Perth, on 26th October 1924. April 2012. Photos Ref: TRAY006

 

Trayning - Trayning Traders

The Trayning Traders General Store selling hardware, newsagency materials, food, fuel etc. This was once known as the Co-Op. April 2012. Photos Ref: TRAY007

 

Trayning - Old Truck

These old trucks are everywhere in country towns. This business has 3-4 old trucks out the front which add to the rustic character of the place. This one looks like a Chevrolet. April 2012. Photos Ref: TRAY008

 

Trayning - Hotel

The Trayning Hotel looking very modern and functional. There used to be an old style hotel in town but that was removed at an indeterminable date. In February 1926, the licencee of the old hotel, Mr Horace Brown, was murdered in his bedroom by an aggrieved former employee, an ex-yardman. Mr Brown was assaulted with a block of wood which resulted in terminal injuries to his head. The murderer was soon taken into custody but he hanged himself using his braces attached to the window bars of his police cell. April 2012. Photos Ref: TRAY009

 

Trayning - Catholic Church

St Joseph's Catholic Church, Trayning. The Church was dedicated to the Glorious Patriarch St Joseph on September 13th, 1925. March 2015. Photos Ref: TRAY010

 

Trayning - Uniting Church

This church building was constructed in May 1968. The history of the Congregational Church in Trayning goes back to the 1920's. Prior to this building, the congregation met in the former Nukarni Church which was moved into Trayning in 1953. March 2015. Photos Ref: TRAY011

 

Trayning - War Memorial

The Trayning War Memorial near the centre of town. March 2015. Photos Ref: TRAY012

 

Trayning - Garage

Formerly Kordy's Garage this building is now a tyre shop. March 2015. Photos Ref: TRAY013

 

Trayning - Former Cafe

This old shop appears to now be a second hand dealer. The old petrol pump adds an artistic touch. This used to be a cafe which was open all weekend. It was a welcome stop for travellers passing through town for purchasing petrol and/or luncheon. The wheat silos can be seen in the background. The silos were used as a visual navigation aid for RAAF trainee pilots who used them as a turning point. March 2015. Photos Ref: TRAY014

 

Trayning - Coronation Bakery

Here is the former Coronation Bakery on Coronation Street. It was erected in 1927. The bakers 50-60 odd-years ago were the Harper family followed by Mr Bert Standen. This place (when not a bakery) was once even used as a doss house for shearers. The parcel of land at the left of the shop, which is now vacant, was an outdoor picture theatre back in the 1950's and 1960's. The picture theatre was superceded by a drive-in which was built to the north of the silos. March 2015. Photos Ref: TRAY015


All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission