Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | Notes | Links | About

Wyalkatchem

'Strange Name, Beaut Place', so the Shire welcoming signs say. Wyalkatchem is an important agricultural hub and is located some 35 kilometres east of Dowerin and 192 kilometres north-east of Perth. Its existence emerged as a result of the eastern extension of the railway line from Dowerin around 1910. In 1891 the area was known as Walcatching, then later Wyalcatchem and finally by 1911, Wyalkatchem. Koorda and Mollerin are directly to the north


 
 
 
 
 

Wyalkatchem - Town Sign

The town welcome sign besides the highway. This features wheat stalks and a grain loading elevator. July 2015. Photos Ref: WYAL001

 

Wyalkatchem - Hotel

The Wyalkatchem Hotel sits on Railway Terrace. This is the two-storey later section which was built in 1925. There is a single-storey section off to the right of picture. April 2012. Photos Ref: WYAL002

 

Wyalkatchem - Hotel

This is the single-storey section of the hotel. It appears that this is the original, earlier part of the hotel and was constructed in 1919. April 2012. Photos Ref: WYAL003

 

Wyalkatchem - Hotel

A view down the verandah of the Wylie Hotel. You can see Honour Avenue, which is the start of the route north to Koorda. April 2012. Photos Ref: WYAL004

 

Wyalkatchem - Railway Station

The railway station shines in the autumn early-morning sunlight. At the near end of the station are the signal levers. The track looks shiny therefore well-used. The line continues north to Koorda. It still runs out to Yelbeni and beyond but those sections are now closed. The station was built in 1911. April 2012. Photos Ref: WYAL005

 

Wyalkatchem - Railway Station Sign

An original Wyalkatchem station sign. Set at the west end and slightly beyond the platform. April 2012. Photos Ref: WYAL006

 

Wyalkatchem - Railway Barracks

Many years ago this place was a fairly major rail centre and as such, rail crews used to swap over trains here and many would spend the night in town. These are part of the old railway barracks just south of the station. The barracks were built in 1910 and later extended in 1921 and 1956. April 2012. Photos Ref: WYAL007

 

Wyalkatchem - Goods Shed

Adjacent to the railway station is this large shed. It is used as a local recycling centre and also seems to double up as a shelter for the fire truck. This is a former rail goods shed and was erected in 1930. April 2012. Photos Ref: WYAL008

 

Wyalkatchem - CBH Agricultural Museum

Also adjacent to the railway precinct is the CBH Agricultural Museum, founded in 1981, and housed mostly in a 1930's wheat bin. This is the main entrance. April 2012. Photos Ref: WYAL009

 

Wyalkatchem - CBH Agricultural Museum

Part of the CBH Agricultural Museum display. Here are a couple of railway signals and the shed that used to be located at Benjaberring rail siding. April 2012. Photos Ref: WYAL010

 

Wyalkatchem - Rail Trucks at Museum

At the rear of the CBH Agricultural Museum is this row of old railway carriages and vans. April 2012. Photos Ref: WYAL011

 

Wyalkatchem - Mural of 1928 Town Scene

On the side of a local shop is a small park with cacti etc, and a giant mural filling up the wall. The mural depicts how the town looked in 1928. This is a small part of the mural. You can see the NAB. April 2012. Photos Ref: WYAL012

 

Wyalkatchem - Mons Coffee Shop

On Railway Terrace is Mons Coffee Shop. April 2012. Photos Ref: WYAL013

 

Wyalkatchem - National Australia Bank

Still on Railway Terrace is the National Australia Bank building which was constructed in 1925. April 2012. Photos Ref: WYAL014

 

Wyalkatchem - Post Office

The local post office. It's also the business premises of D. & G. J. Pease, communications equipment specialists. This was built in 1925. April 2012. Photos Ref: WYAL015

 

Wyalkatchem - Shops on Railway Terrace

A row of shops on Railway Terrace. The Community Mart is the shop after the blue section. April 2012. Photos Ref: WYAL016

 

Wyalkatchem - Community Mart

The Community Mart and other shops line Railway Terrace. July 2015. Photos Ref: WYAL017

 

Wyalkatchem - Johnston's Building

At 27-31 Railway Terrace is the 1921 constructed Johnston's Building. The building is currently occupied by Wylie News and Lotteries, a cafe, St Mark Pharmacy and Bob the Butcher. July 2015. Photos Ref: WYAL018

 

Wyalkatchem - Bank of New South Wales

The former Bank of New South Wales building on the corner of Honour Avenue and Wilson Street. This was erected in 1927. Now the premises are used as the Community Resource Centre. April 2012. Photos Ref: WYAL019

 

Wyalkatchem - Freemasons Hall

Nice shade of blue is the Freemasons Hall. This is the Wyalkatchem Lodge of Freemasons. The building completion stone was unveiled by Bro. C. O. L. Riley, Grand Master and Archbishop of Perth, on 13th September 1926. April 2012. Photos Ref: WYAL020

 

Wyalkatchem - Town Hall

The Wyalkatchem Town Hall. The Foundation Stone is thus inscribed: 'Wyalkatchem Road Board'. The Foundation Stone of this Hall was laid by John Lindsay Esq., J.P., M.L.A. 23rd March 1929. April 2012. Photos Ref: WYAL021

 

Wyalkatchem - Anglican Church

St Saviours Anglican Church, Wyalkatchem. The Foundation Stone was laid by The Most Rev. R. W. H. Moline, Archbishop of Perth, on March 31st, 1960. July 2015. Photos Ref: WYAL022

 

Wyalkatchem - Catholic Church

Our Lady Help of Christians Catholic Church, Wyalkatchem The Foundation Stone was laid by The Rt Rev. A. Catalan, Lord Abbott of New Norcia, on July 21st, 1929. July 2015. Photos Ref: WYAL023

 

Wyalkatchem - Catholic Church Manse

Next door to the Catholic Church on Railway Terrace is the Manse which looks of similar vintage to the church. July 2015. Photos Ref: WYAL024

 

Wyalkatchem - CWA House

The former CWA House on Honour Avenue. The Foundation Stone was laid by H. Threlfall Esq., Chairman of the Road Board, on September 3rd, 1952. This is a private residence now. The owners have thoughtfully retained the CWA sign and the building foundation stone. July 2015. Photos Ref: WYAL025

 

Wyalkatchem - Korrelocking Town Hall

This is the former Korrelocking Town Hall which was re-opened here on July 2nd, 1976. This hall was erected in Korrelocking in 1954 and moved here to be used as the Community Centre. July 2015. Photos Ref: WYAL026

 

Wyalkatchem - RSL Memorial Hall

On Wilson Street in the 1955 RSL Memorial Hall. The Foundation Stone was laid by Sir Charles Gardiner, Governor of Western Australia, on April 23th, 1955. July 2015. Photos Ref: WYAL027

 

Wyalkatchem - School House Museum

The former school house which is now a museum. This is on Flint Street. It was built in 1926. July 2015. Photos Ref: WYAL028

 

Wyalkatchem - Uniting Church

On Wilson Street is the rather tumble-down Uniting Church. This was constructed as a Methodist Church in 1924. It is no longer in use. July 2015. Photos Ref: WYAL029

 

Wyalkatchem - Pioneer Park

The local Pioneer Park complete with a commemorative archway and a sign proclaiming that this was the state school site from 1923 to 1963. The archway is a 1991 replica of the original 1919 school archway which was destroyed. Prior to this school, between 1916 and 1923, school was held in the Town Hall. April 2012. Photos Ref: WYAL030


All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission