Photographs of Perth, Western Australia Home | Localities | Subjects | Notes | Links | About

Dardanup

Located 14 kilometres south-east of Bunbury, Dardanup is a quiet dairy farming centre. This area was first settled in 1852 by Mr Thomas Little who named his homestead Dardanup Park. Later the land was donated to the church. Around 1920 the Government took control of land in the district and sub-divided it for settlement. In 1923 the townsite was officially recognized. The verdant and increasingly popular Ferguson Valley is slightly north of the township


 
 
   
 
 

Dardanup - Town Sign

Welcome to Dardanup, Merry Xmas and fix your firebreaks! December 2016. Photos Ref: DARD001

 

Dardanup - Hall

The 1956 Dardanup Hall is a few hundred metres out of town on Ferguson Road. December 2010. Photos Ref: DARD002

 

Dardanup - Visitor Centre

This is the Dardanup Visitor Centre set behind a large rose garden. This building used to be Dardanup's state school from 1897 to 1971. It was restored in 1988 as a bicentennial project. December 2010. Photos Ref: DARD003

 

Dardanup - Commercial Building

Whilst this building at 1 Ferguson Road may look old, in fact it is of very recent construction. It was built in 2009 by Bunbury Building Co. Tilt-up concrete slabs were used. The facade is designed to look like something originating in the early 1900's, particularly around Perth. December 2010. Photos Ref: DARD004

 

Dardanup - Catholic School

Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic school in Dardanup. The brickwork looks great. This building is flanked by the Thomas Little Memorial Hall, the former Hosea House of Prayer, and the Church of the Immaculate Conception. December 2016. Photos Ref: DARD005

 

Dardanup - Thomas Little Memorial Hall

The Thomas Little Memorial Hall which is part of Our Lady of Lourdes school. This was constructed circa 1854 as a Catholic Church, the first to be built in Western Australia. It was superseded as a church in 1937 when the Church of the Immaculate Conception was built. This building was re-dedicated as the Thomas Little Memorial Hall in 1979. December 2016. Photos Ref: DARD006

 

Dardanup - Hosea House of Prayer

Just behind and adjacent to the Lady of Lourdes school, is the Hosea House of Prayer. This was erected in 1921 for the Sisters of Mercy as classrooms and residentials. In 1977 it became the Carmelite Monastery until 1984. These days the building is used as a Retreat House. December 2016. Photos Ref: DARD007

 

Dardanup - Catholic Church

Church of the Immaculate Conception, Dardanup. The foundation stone was laid by the Reverend Dr R. Prendiville, Archbishop of Perth, on December 12th 1937. December 2010. Photos Ref: DARD008

 

Dardanup - General Store

The Dardanup general store on the main street. Country stores such as this usually carry a wide range of goods which make them interesting. This was built in 1934. December 2010. Photos Ref: DARD009

 

Dardanup - Tavern

The Dardanup Tavern was established in 1905 and is still going strong today. This was formerly known as the Dardanup Hotel. The tavern is on Charlotte Street. December 2010. Photos Ref: DARD010

 

Dardanup - Post Office

A close of view of the front of the local post office which is situated on Charlotte Street. The post office was built in 1895. December 2010. Photos Ref: DARD011

 

Dardanup - Post Office

A street view of the post office. December 2016. Photos Ref: DARD012

 

Dardanup - Bakery

The local bakery on Charlotte Street. This a modern building erected to the side and on the same lot as a house. December 2016. Photos Ref: DARD013

 

Dardanup - Garage

Dardanup Small Machinery Hire on Charlotte Street. Still selling fuel although the petrol company signage has long gone. December 2016. Photos Ref: DARD014

 

Dardanup - Butcher Shop

The local butcher's shop is situated well away from other prominent buildings in town. It's across the railway line and on the Picton - Boyanup Road. The shop was erected in 1960. December 2010. Photos Ref: DARD015

 

Dardanup - Butcher Shop

Six years later and the old butcher's shop has undergone some transformation. December 2016. Photos Ref: DARD016

 

Dardanup - Water Wheel

A water wheel in the park alongside the railway. This would represent how irrigation channels have assisted agriculture over the decades. December 2016. Photos Ref: DARD017

 

Dardanup - Railway Area

The railway line, now disused, looking south. Down the track next stop is Boyanup. Visible here is the post office, store, tavern and garage (left to right). There used to be two loops in that area on the left. Beyond the railway crossing there was a goods shed on the left. The small station building was down there on the right, next to what used to be the South Western Highway. December 2016. Photos Ref: DARD018

 

Dardanup - Railway Area

It would have been around about that grassy spot where the old Dardanup goods shed would have been situated. The tavern is in the background. December 2016. Photos Ref: DARD019

 

Dardanup - Anglican Church

St Mary's Anglican Church, Dardanup. The Foundation Stone was laid by The Hon. Sir George Shenton, on May 9th, 1906. December 2016. Photos Ref: DARD020

 

Dardanup - Ferguson Valley Church

A few kilometres east of Dardanup, on the Ferguson Road, is the St Aidan's Non-Denominational People's Church. The Foundation Stone is inscribed thus: 'St Aidan's Church of England - Congregational - Presbyterian Church, 1953'. July 2014. Photos Ref: DARD021


All images published on this website are copyright © of the webmaster. See About section for clarification and special schools permission